Safety comes first. UGC guidelines mentioned a sample seating arrangement (Image above). And students are expected to appear for examinations more than 5 occasions during this, followed by practical exams and viva. Governments across the globe are trying to avoid gathering to stop the viral spread, and guidelines pertaining to only offline mode does not seem to be a step towards that. Although the University Grants Commission (UGC) has provided sufficient time and options for universities to conduct their final examinations, the press release was missing any guidelines for conducting online examinations. As the guideline clearly mentions the possibilities of online examinations support universities with students not having a desktop, laptop or even internet certainly does not seem to provide a fair opportunity to all students.
If UGC guidelines are to be adhered to, a lot of universities will have to conduct offline examinations. But any amount of precaution at the examination center might not be stopping the spread. In order to maintain hygiene and social distancing, universities will end up having a huge shortage of seats for students and the government will end up spending billions on sanitizers and masks. And since the capacity of students taking exams in one hall will be reduced to around one third, the entire duration of the examination schedule will certainty become three times normal. As the duration of interaction among instructors and students will last over a longer period of time, the chances of the spread will be prolonged as well. Cancellation of exams is certainly not being in the interest of the students and UGC has actually provided sufficient time and options to the universities to conduct the exams.
Talking about online examinations, entrance tests like JEE MAINS & Advanced, Medical Entrance Exams, GATE, CAT, etc. which requires students to do heavy calculations have been successfully conducted online and are considered as standard for higher education and jobs. Given the fact that examination software today come with diverse functionalities, conducting a summative or subjective examination is not going to be a herculean task. Typing answers may not provide an even playing field for all students, as not everyone can type fast, the relevance and steps mentioned in the answer can be automated measure correctness. Uploading scanned copies of the answer sheets in the given time can be an option when typing an answer is not technically possible via keyboards.
Universities, where not all students have a system or internet connection and want to keep their students safe, must wait for the spread to cede and then consider conducting the regular pen-paper examination with all possible precautions.
Conducting examinations are in the long term interest and lifetime credibility of the students. Top universities across the globe are conducting online examinations. No university is canceling examinations and certifications are issued only after evaluations. Universities offering professional degrees, where students are expected to have a laptop should no longer wait for the situation to be normal and establish/find a robust online examination platform. Conducting online assessments is vital for universities as admissions to higher education and employment opportunities of final year students should not suffer.
It is important for everyone to understand that health and wellbeing are of utmost priority for the government and for universities where the online examination is not possible, their situation will be accessed.
IIHT’s Online Examination Platform
One-stop platform/solution for Assignments, Exams, Grades. Yaksha
An assessment engine you can use in diverse applications such as managing assignments, quizzes, and exams, monitoring due dates, grade results, and provide students with feedback all in one place.
- Learners can take the online test from their hostel, home or any distraction-free location, while our live online proctors monitor their behavior throughout the session
- Audio and video of the candidate, video of the computer screen, and activity on learners’ computers before and during the exam can be recorded.
- Once the assessments are over, instructors get to evaluate the test right on the platform and the results are shared to all learners via automated notifications
- The assessment engine allows you to track learning efficiencies down to each module, redefine objectives based on performances and align learning paths in real-time
- Built-in assessments benefit colleges & professors in developing assessments with template assessments.
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs)
- Submission/ Subjective Questions (SQs)
- Cheating prevention mechanism:
- Webcam based -face detection system
- Password protected custom test URLs
- Restriction on copy-pasting
- Auto knockout mechanism
- IP range restriction
- Window proctoring
- Email invitation & authentication
- Question pooling & shuffling
- Timeboxing mechanism
- Auto filter suspicious candidates
- View / download / share reports (bulk & individual reports)
- Assign evaluators/ re-evaluators
For any details please reach –
firstname.lastname@example.org | 7899559292