The latest version of Java, Java 8 was released in 2014. Yet, many developers and companies are still working with older versions, which is natural because switching from one platform to another can mean a lot of hassles. A good number of developers are even starting up new applications with previous versions of Java. This wouldn’t be a smart thing to do considering the improvements that Java 8 has brought to the language. This could happen because there are fewer skilled software professionals who are proficient in working with Java 8. It’s only a matter of time before most part of the industry moves to Java 8, increasing the demand for Java 8 developers. Listed below are some of the best features of Java 8 and why building an application using this language can be so much more convenient and seamless.
- Detecting and removal of old Java in Windows: With Java 8’s Update 20, an option to remove older versions of Java from the system is integrated in the Java Uninstall Tool. This change works on the 64 bit and the 32 bit Windows platforms.
- Virtual Extension and Lambda Expression Methods: The implementation of Lambda expressions and features that support it are a major highlight of Java 8.
- Write lesser code: Java has always been accused of having heavy coding. Java 8 contains a more functional style for new APIs, where the focus is shifted from how to achieve functions to what functions you would like to carry out.
- Date and Time API: This API that is introduced in Java 8 will help with convenient handling of date and time in an easier and more understandable way.
- Improved Security: The hand-maintained listing of caller methods in previous versions are replaced with mechanism that identifies all such methods accurately and lets their callers be discovered in a reliable way.
Upskilling to Java 8 – a MUST for serious developers
- Today, employers want Java skills more than any other skillselt. As per Dice.com, an IT Job Site, Java development has been the most sought after software building program by employers in the year 2014.
- A programmer can prove his or her programming fluency using Java 8, especially when given hands on training in the language.
- As per the Annual Salary Survey in the Certification Magazine 2015. There was a 7% growth in salary for Oracle Certified Professionals (Java being the base)
- The latest version of Java has significant changes that need training for thorough upskilling.
- The total time for development is decreased because of the use of Lambdas programming. It has been described by industry experts as the single largest upgrade that has ever been done to the Java programming model!
A serious IT aspirant or Java developer should register for a Java 8 course if they choose to move ahead of the rest!