- As a result of attending this course, students should be able to implement Puppet in an operations or cloud computing environment.
- Compose Puppet manifests using a variety of Puppet DSL resources.
- Author Puppet modules for deployment and configuration of network services.
- Implement Puppet master and client nodes.
- Use Red Hat Satellite 6 to manage system configuration using Puppet.
Configure RHEL in Devops Puppet
Installation of open source release of Pupper Server and Puppet Agent on RHEL/CentOS 7/6/5.
Step 1: Enable Dependencies and Puppet Labs Repository On Master
- The server acting as a puppet master should have its system time set accurately. To set, accurate system time you should probably use NTP service. For more instructions on how to set correct system time with NTP, follow the below article.
- Once system time is set correctly, you should enable “optional” channel on RHEL distributions only, to install Puppet. For more instructions on how to enable “optional” channel on RHEL systems can be found Here.
- Once channel is enabled, you can install latest versions of Puppet using Puppet Labs package repository on your correspondent RHEL/CentOS versions.
Step 2: Installing and Upgrading Puppet on the Master Server
- On your master server, run the following command to install Pupper Server, it will install an init script (/etc/init.d/puppetmaster) for executing a test-quality puppet master server.
Do not start puppet master service now.
- Next, run the following command to upgrade Puppet to most newest version.
- Once upgrade process completes, you will need to restart the puppet master web server to reflect new changes.
Step 3: Installing and Upgrading Puppet on Agent Node
- Login to your agent node server and run the following command to install Puppet agent. Once you install Puppet agent, you may notice that an initscript (/etc/init.d/puppet) has been generated for running the puppet agent daemon.
Do not start puppet agent service now.
- Now upgrade the installed puppet agent to the most recent versions, with the help of following command.
- Once upgrade completes, you will need to restart the puppet service to take new changes.
That’s it! at this moment, your Puppet server and Agent installed successfully, but it isn’t configured properly, to do so you need to follow the post-install and configuration tasks at.